Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tom Hanks Apologizes for Calling Mormon Supporters of Proposition 8 'Un-American'

Tom Hanks made a statement on January 16 saying that Mormons who voted in favor of California's Proposition 8 were "Un-American." Then on January 23, he apologized for what he said:
". . . everyone has a right to vote their conscience; nothing could be more American. To say members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who contributed to Proposition 8 are 'un-American' creates more division when the time calls for respectful disagreement. No one should use 'un- American' lightly or in haste. I did. I should not have."
Tom Hanks Apologizes for Calling Mormon Supporters of Proposition 8 'Un-American'

I am grateful that we have the ability to say "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that." I have nothing against differing opinions than my own. But please allow me to have my own opinions and express them; I'll do the same for you. I am grateful for people who are not afraid to admit that they said things in haste. I do that too - everyone does. I am especially grateful for the blessings of living in this wonderful country, where people are free to voice their opinions and feelings without fear of governmental discrimination. What a blessing that is for us!

No comments: