Thursday, January 29, 2009

Professor Advocates Religious Freedom

Here is an article titled "Professor Advocates Religious Freedom" where we learn of a Brigham Young University law professor (W. Cole Durham Jr.) who "was awarded the 2009 International First Freedom Award for extraordinary advocacy of religious freedom." This is what he said in the article about religious freedom:
"I learned something fundamental about this heritage the summer I went to Iraq to work on the Iraqi constitution,” said Durham in his acceptance speech. “I had never before been asked to put my life on the line for principles in which I believed. I realized many things as a result of this experience. Perhaps most importantly I became convinced at a deeper level than ever before that religious freedom is a principle that is indeed worth risking one’s life for."

In a couple of posts I've made over the last couple of days I've mentioned how grateful I am to live in a country where religious freedom is prized and honored. I believe that President George W. Bush mirrors my sentiment in this comment he made (which can also be found in the article) in proclaiming Religious Freedom Day:
"Our Nation was founded by people seeking haven from religious persecution, and the religious liberty they found here remains one of this land’s greatest blessings. As Americans, we believe that all people have inherent dignity and worth. Though we may profess different creeds and worship in different manners and places, we respect each others humanity and expression of faith. People with diverse views can practice their faiths here while living together in peace and harmony, carrying on our Nation’s noble tradition of religious freedom."

No comments: